- Snow falls statewide on Sunday and yesterday, leading to four traffic fatalities from people running into things. Other than that and some traffic slowdowns, it seems to have gone pretty smoothly. Of course, I stayed pretty close to home, and when I went out to lunch yesterday, I did so by bus (mostly because I didn’t feel like walking the unshovelled sidewalks between here and Dinkytown). I also had to shovel my sidewalks a few times during the day. I need new sidewalks, though. The current ones are so uneven that shovelling them is a lot more work than it should be. One more item for the to-do list. [press-patch]
- Fans storm palace gates as the Ice Palace set a record for attendance on Saturday. The article has tips if you’re going to visit this weekend. [press-patch]
- Morgan Spurlock is now an arch enemy of fast food, after spending 30 days eating nothing but McDonald’s food and having his health deteriorate to an alarming degree. I saw many people pointing to this saying how horrible McDonald’s is for you, but my take is a little different (I know, it’s hard to believe). I think he’s just one of those delicate sorts who probably would have died from eating a normal diet in older days. As it is, with all the conveniences of modern society, he’s able to pamper his delicate constitution and stay alive. He’s forgotten that humans are omnivores, and as such has to limit his diet. Besides, if he’d eaten McDonald’s for a month and stayed healthy, it wouldn’t have made for much of a movie, now would it? [boing boing]
- Plans for Wireless Directory Raise Concerns About Privacy, but more importantly, cell-phone numbers will be listed just as landlines currently are, complete with all the same crap that comes with a landline.
- Part of Patriot Act Ruled Unconstitutional, specifically a section of the USA Patriot Act that bars giving expert advice or assistance to groups designated foreign terrorist organizations was ruled impermissably vague.
- Supreme Court Reaffirms Miranda Ruling 9-0. That’s nice to hear. [instapundit]
- Finally, Calpundit offers The WMD Hunt… A Real Explanation at Last? It makes some sense to me.
On the home-improvement front, I think I have all the new phone wiring done. All that remains there is to unhook some of the older wires, put new ends on them, and connect them through the junction-box I’ve set up in the basement. I also got the shelf hung on the wall, so I can move the networking hardware into the basement, and I think I’ve got all the ethernet in place. I’ve got a new doorbell button for the front door (the old one works, but you have to really mash it, and most people don’t) and hooking that up (probably tomorrow) should complete the low-voltage wiring work.
I’m also planning an evening of furniture-shuffling later this week. I’m aiming to both get things ready for the housewarming party on Saturday and get close to a layout I can live with in the long-run. As in any game of sokoban, I have to get some other stuff out of the way first, but it was time to haul out some of those boxes filled with the packing paper from the move anyhow, and with recycling day being tomorrow, I’ll have some hauling to do this evening.